In all seriousness our new mattress topper was delivered last week and it's been a dreamy week ;).
Here's the how, where, why and when of it all:
Our mattress is not that old, it's only about 5 years old . . . we just bought a standard firm mattress. We originally thought that a firm mattress would hold up to Lee's weight better then a soft mattress would. You see Lee is 6 feet 8 inches tall and weighs approx 250lbs, most of his 250lbs is in his chest and shoulders (Lee's always lifted weights as a hobby). Having such a handsome, and incredibly muscular husband (I'm so getting brownie points for that line), means that our mattresses get really saggy, really quick. Seriously if Lee's not in bed and I roll over I feel like I'm falling into a ditch (she exaggerated . . . slightly). The firm mattress has held up okay, it's more of a small divot over there, as opposed to a ditch, but it's only been 5 years. We do rotate the mattress every 3 months or so but it's not really a 'fix'. Mostly we decided a new mattress was a necessity, not just a want, when Lee kept waking up exhausted with moderate back pain every morning.
So we started saving for a new mattress. Knowing more now then I did 5 years ago, I wanted to make sure it was a natural Latex mattress, with an organic wool or cotton topper. So we saved and we saved some more. After about 6 months I thought we'd have saved enough for a new mattress so I started checking around, I turned to Lee and said "well we can afford about half of a mattress" when it hit me, We can afford half a mattress . . . a mattress topper.
Mattress Vacuuming post) why not just top it.
This one on Amazon.
- Natural non blended latex topper made from eco-friendly botanical all natural components (rubber from rubber trees), with no toxic chemicals or synthetic or petroleum based fillers.
- It is free from chemical additives.
- ORGANIC COTTON SOFT COVER. This cover is removable for washing and is very comfortable, cool and hydrophillic for sweat free sleep.
- Being all natural, it has long term health benefits.
- Non Blended Latex mattresses can last upwards of 20 years.
- *No Off Gassing*
- Organic Latex Mattresses and Toppers are 300% more resistant to the growth of dust mites and allergens.
I figure if we're sleeping on it for 8 hours a night, every night, it should be as natural as possible.
This is the first of a few green and health conscious changes we're making to the bedroom! I've been working on a sewing project for the bedroom, I hope you'll check back tomorrow to see our next "green" (literally) change to the bedroom.
Lots of Love!!!