- Well . . . we are turning the library into an office. Lee has recently started doing lots of work from home and needs a large desk and and area to spread out all of his papers. The only desk I've found that I LOVE is WHITE! and the Bookcases are WHITE! I wanted the front 'office' to be light and bright and to me nothing is lighter and brighter than WHITE.
- Also, I never really did any work from there because I found it a bit confining inside of the desk, there wasn't a lot of room to move your mouse or have a drink or spread out a project. Also I could definitely NOT use that desk to sew on!
- we sold it on Craigslist! And made enough money to buy the New white desk we want for Lee, a desk chair as well as the shelves and desk in the corner!!
The "DESK" part itself is the our old laundry room cabinet! Since we wanted some hanging space in the laundry room we had an extra cabinet kicking around. We racked our brains trying to think of a way to use the old cabinet when, as Oprah would say, I had an AH-HA moment and decided to make a floating desk out of it!
First Lee figured out where the wall studs were so he could screw the cabinet into the studs.
Once the cabinet was secure to the wall we bought an Ikea Vika Amon desk top in White for $9 (seriously it was $9, although when we cut it to fit we found out why . . . it's basically filled with cardboard haha).
We painted the dark face of the cabinet with leftover white paint from the Laundry Room Project. And found two more doors in the AS-IS section of Ikea for $10.00 each.
We used the same door pulls as the laundry room cabinets (I love those little things).
You also might recognize the chair it's one of our bar chairs, and I love it WAY more with my new DESK.
It wasn't too hard at all, Lee completed the project in about an hour!!! (Not including paint drying time).
- a couple of floating shelves (these ones were from Home Depot).
- A magnetic bulletin board From Ikea found in the AS-IS section for $8. I really think that every home need either a Pin Board or a Magnetic Board. There will always be a piece of mail or a slip of paper that you'll want to deal with at a later time . . . ALWAYS.
We still have a ways to go . . . We have an empty picture frame begging for some cute art.
I desperately need a desk lamp. And I still have to organize the cupboard (my favorite part). But I'm really happy with how it's turned out so far!
Cabinet $ Free $
Cabinet Doors $10 each
Desk Top $9
Door Hardware $4
Magnetic Board $8
Floating Shelves $14 each
Bar Stool $ Free $
It's Sooooo Easy being Green . . . and cost effective!
I should have the final touches done by the end of the week!!!