Yesterday we pulled up some of our beet crop! Nothing too crazy, this is only about 1/4 of them, I'm hoping this warm weather holds out for a few more weeks, so we can get the fence stained and the beets harvested!
We've been caring for our lawn organically since the day we moved in, with little paws running around the lawn we wanted to make sure it's nice and safe.
So now that fall is here, we need to get on our organic fall lawn care before we blink and it's Winter.
This fall we are:
- Sowing grass seed. It doesn’t matter how good or bad your lawn is, if you apply grass seed, the lawn will thicken up. And a thick lawn prevents weeds from germinating. Fall is the perfect time to top dress your lawn with seed. You'll need about 2lbs for every 1000 sq ft.
- Making Compost tea from our Compost Bin and spraying it on the lawn about 1 week after we seed.
- Keep mowing the lawn as long as it's growing, but cut it LONGER than usual. Cool season grasses like to be a bit longer than normal.
- Rake leaves, or better yet, run them over with the lawn mower to mulch them and let them decompose in to the grass.
- If your lawn isn't preforming well, get the soil tested, and adjust from there. Fall is a good time to fix your soil issues.
- No Fast Food: If your going to fertilize your lawn make it a slow release.
- And don't forget to De-Thatch your lawn so the seeds and food can get to the soil!